“Nachlaot” actually encompasses 32 different small neighborhoods, all intertwined with each other. Purchased bit by bit from Arab families from the village of Lifta, located in the west part of the city.
the first neighborhoods were established in 1875 by members of the “Old Yishuv” who looked to move out from the cramped conditions of the Old City. By the end of the 19th century and early 20th century, up until the 1930’s, additional neighborhoods were founded by Sephardi Jews who emigrated to the country.
Each small neighborhood developed according to a particular base: either along a shared economic strata or being part of a particular ethnic group. The majority of the neighborhoods were concentrated between Bezalel and Agrippas Streets, while some expanded up to Jaffa Street, and for the most part developed around shared courtyards, which was typical of the way that Jewish communities at the time established their neighborhoods.
The homes were built using extremely modest means and it wasn’t long before the neighborhood showed signs of on-going deterioration.
Following the 1967 Six Day War up until the 1980’s, Jerusalem saw the establishment of many new, modern neighbohoods around the city and the younger residents began to move out of Nachlaot looking for a higher standard of living, leaving behind the older generation. However, slowly but surely many began to rediscover the magical ambiance of the area and a new wave of residents, students and artists amongst them, began to make their homes there.
In 1987 the program for gentrification of the city center was inaugurated which brought in a more affluent wave of residents. Today there are around 7,000 residents in Nachlaot and apartment prices are constantly rising, more proof to the popularity of the neighborhood.